definition of a highlevel language?

Henrique Dante de Almeida hdante at gmail.com
Fri May 30 10:36:50 EDT 2008

On May 26, 6:06 pm, Paul Miller <n... at this.time> wrote:
> On Mon, 26 May 2008 15:49:33 -0400, Dan Upton wrote:
> > On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 3:22 PM,  <miller.pau... at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I don't know if it would necessarily look like the CPython VM, except
> > for the decode stage (this being said without any knowledge of the
> > CPython implementation, but with more than I ever thought I'd know about
> > processor architecture/microarchitecture)
>
> Out of curiosity, do you know how easy it would be to make a Python chip
> using FPGAs?  I have little to no hardware knowledge, but it sounds like
> a fun project in any case.  Even if it's not likely to have blazing
> performance, it'd be cool to load Python bytecode directly into
> memory. :-)
>
> --
> code.py: a blog about Python.  http://pythonista.wordpress.com
> ** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**

 The python VM is too "high level". :-) I think a python CPU would
need to be developed in two layers, one that looks like a typical
processor and another that executes complex instructions
(microcode ?). The low level part takes some weeks (one week or so if
you have the whole architecture figured out) in VHDL. Once I claimed
to have done this in an April Fool's day. It was fun. :-D