where do I begin with web programming in python?

Mike Driscoll kyosohma at gmail.com
Thu May 1 17:31:58 EDT 2008

On May 1, 4:25 pm, jmDesktop <needin4mat... at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have been to the main python site, but am still confused.  I have
> been using .net, so it may be obvious how to do this to everyone
> else.  I am aware there are various frameworks (Django, Pylons, etc.),
> but I would like to know how to create web pages without these.  If I
> have mod_python or fastcgi on apache, where do I start?  I don't have
> clue where to begin to create a web page from scratch in python.  I am
> sure I will want to access database, etc., all the "normal" stuff, I
> just want to do it myself as opposed to the frameworks, for learning.
>
> Thank you for any help.

The web frameworks make it a lot easier. But you can use the httplib
modules. You should check out the wiki: http://wiki.python.org/moin/WebProgramming

There's also a couple of books on the topic: "Python Web Programming"
by Steve Holden, and "Web Programming in Python" by Thiruvathukal.

Check out the cgi-type stuff especially.

Hope that helps some.

Mike