Best way to store config or preferences in a multi-platform way.

Torsten Bronger bronger at physik.rwth-aachen.de
Thu May 1 17:03:38 EDT 2008

Hallöchen!

Ivan Illarionov writes:

> [...]
>
> I took the example from
> http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2004/10/29/14225/062 I haven't use
> my own example only because I don't have one at hand right
> now. YAML, in its simple form, definetely makes me more
> productive. I wasted too much time with XML in the past and I
> won't ever use it as a serialization or config/settings format
> again. .INI/ConfigParser is too limited and has no standards. I
> just don't see anything better than YAML to do human and Python
> editable config files and to serialize information for later use.

Okay, but serialisation is something completely different.  Nobody
would use INI files for it.

For other things, it simply depends on the use case.  For example, I
*know* that the configuration files of my pet project will not
exceed the dumb section.key=value scheme so anything else would be
overkill.

Besides, YAML adds another dependency.

Tschö,
Torsten.