Best way to store config or preferences in a multi-platform way.

Ivan Illarionov ivan.illarionov at gmail.com
Thu May 1 18:26:19 EDT 2008

On Thu, 01 May 2008 23:03:38 +0200, Torsten Bronger wrote:

> Hallöchen!
>
> Ivan Illarionov writes:
>
>> [...]
>>
>> I took the example from
>> http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2004/10/29/14225/062 I haven't use my own
>> example only because I don't have one at hand right now. YAML, in its
>> simple form, definetely makes me more productive. I wasted too much
>> time with XML in the past and I won't ever use it as a serialization or
>> config/settings format again. .INI/ConfigParser is too limited and has
>> no standards. I just don't see anything better than YAML to do human
>> and Python editable config files and to serialize information for later
>> use.
>
> Okay, but serialisation is something completely different.  Nobody would
> use INI files for it.
>
> For other things, it simply depends on the use case.  For example, I
> *know* that the configuration files of my pet project will not exceed
> the dumb section.key=value scheme so anything else would be overkill.
>
> Besides, YAML adds another dependency.
>
> Tschö,
> Torsten.

For me it looks more like an old-school/new-school thing than use-case
thing. I may be wrong, but I see more and more new projects use things
like reST and YAML/JSON and it feels like they are gradually replacing
traditional old-school solutions.

And I've got very strong impression that YAML is a the future of
configuration files when Google released their App Engine.

Of course I may be wrong and it's just my opinion.

--
Ivan