Newbie question - probably FAQ (but not exactly answered by regular FAQ)

Nick Craig-Wood nick at craig-wood.com
Sat May 3 09:30:04 EDT 2008

Banibrata Dutta <banibrata.dutta at gmail.com> wrote:
>  I've gone through the list of "language differences" between 2.3 / 2.4
>  & 2.5 of CPython. I've spend around 2 weeks now, learning v2.5 of
>  CPython, and I consider myself still very very newbie. So, unable to
>  take a call as to how-important or desirable the newer language
>  features are -- so whether to write my app for v2.5 of Python, versus,
>  as few others on this list have recommended, i.e. to stick to v2.3 ??
>  Are the preformance improvements, and memory footprint / leak fix in
>  2.5 enough to justify moving to it ? What all do I stand to lose (or
>  gain) by writing on v2.3 ??

If you are writing for 2.3 you are writing for 2.4 and 2.5 also.

There are some nice things in 2.4 and 2.5 but nothing you really need
IMHO.  So I'd say writing in a 2.3 subset would be perfectly sensible.

>  I've a constraint due to which I might have to also write parts of my
>  app (client side) in Jython (because I want to eventually ship Java --
>  yet benefit from the rapid development and clarity of Python). Would
>  sticking to v2.3 in such a case be a better idea ? Suggestions with
>  reasoning would be very helpful.

Jython seems to be based off python 2.2 so you would be limited to 2.2
features in that case.  No big deal in my opinion.