Newbie question - probably FAQ (but not exactly answered by regular FAQ)

Bruno Desthuilliers bruno.42.desthuilliers at websiteburo.invalid
Tue May 6 04:03:36 EDT 2008

Nick Craig-Wood a écrit :
> Banibrata Dutta <banibrata.dutta at gmail.com> wrote:
>>  I've gone through the list of "language differences" between 2.3 / 2.4
>>  & 2.5 of CPython. I've spend around 2 weeks now, learning v2.5 of
>>  CPython, and I consider myself still very very newbie. So, unable to
>>  take a call as to how-important or desirable the newer language
>>  features are -- so whether to write my app for v2.5 of Python, versus,
>>  as few others on this list have recommended, i.e. to stick to v2.3 ??
>>  Are the preformance improvements, and memory footprint / leak fix in
>>  2.5 enough to justify moving to it ? What all do I stand to lose (or
>>  gain) by writing on v2.3 ??
>
> If you are writing for 2.3 you are writing for 2.4 and 2.5 also.
>
> There are some nice things in 2.4 and 2.5 but nothing you really need
> IMHO.

There are some nice things in Python but nothing you really need neither
- could have the same result in C or assembly !-)

<OP>
Ok, if you're newbie to programming, the new stuff in 2.4 and 2.5 might
not be that useful to you right now. But the real question is mostly: do
you have any reason to stick to 2.3 ?
</OP>

>>  I've a constraint due to which I might have to also write parts of my
>>  app (client side) in Jython (because I want to eventually ship Java --
>>  yet benefit from the rapid development and clarity of Python). Would
>>  sticking to v2.3 in such a case be a better idea ? Suggestions with
>>  reasoning would be very helpful.
>
> Jython seems to be based off python 2.2

It is so far. But Sun recently hired Jython's maintainers, so we may
have a much more up to date Jython version in a foreseeable future.