Best way to store config or preferences in a multi-platform way.

Jon Ribbens jon+usenet at unequivocal.co.uk
Thu May 1 15:13:08 EDT 2008

On 2008-05-01, Ivan Illarionov <ivan.illarionov at gmail.com> wrote:
> I used XML files before for this purpose and found YAML much easier and
> better suitable for the task.
>
> Please explain why don't like YANL so much?

Because even the examples in the spec itself are unreadable gibberish.
The PyYAML library is over 300kB! These are rather big clues that it's
unsuitable for the purpose for which it was designed. It's certainly
unsuitable for use as a configuration file format, where it is
overkill by several orders of magnitude.

  !!str &a1 "foo":
  !!str bar
  &a2 baz : *a1
  !<tag:yaml.org,2002:str> foo :
  !<!bar> baz

This is supposed to be human readable?

> PS. Your reply remind me of early days of Python when Perl programmers
> said exacly the same thing about Python.

I think I would suffer irony overload if I saw a Perl programmer
criticising Python for being hard to read ;-)