Best way to store config or preferences in a multi-platform way.

Ivan Illarionov ivan.illarionov at gmail.com
Thu May 1 13:07:28 EDT 2008

On Thu, 01 May 2008 11:11:29 -0500, Jon Ribbens wrote:

> On 2008-05-01, Ivan Illarionov <ivan.illarionov at gmail.com> wrote:
>> IMO .ini-like config files are from the stone age. The modern approach
>> is to use YAML (http://www.yaml.org).
>
> You mean YAML isn't a joke!? It's so ludicrously overcomplicated, and so
> comprehensively and completely fails to achieve its stated main goal of
> being "readable by humans", that I had assumed it was an April Fool
> along the lines of Intercal or brainf***.
>
> I certainly wouldn't recommend it as being suitable for, well, anything
> at all.
>
> Or were you trolling and I missed the joke? ;-)

No, it isn't. I acually find it usefull and readable. I don't think that
programmers at Google would use something that is a joke.

I used XML files before for this purpose and found YAML much easier and
better suitable for the task.

Please explain why don't like YANL so much?

PS. Your reply remind me of early days of Python when Perl programmers
said exacly the same thing about Python.

--
Ivan