Newbie to python --- why should i learn !

hdante hdante at gmail.com
Fri May 9 10:08:06 EDT 2008

On May 8, 7:25 am, "Ra... at MyKavita.com" <raxitsheth2... at gmail.com>
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i was reading/learning some hello world program in python.
> I think its very simillar to Java/C++/C#. What's different (except
> syntax) ?

 All the languages have similar "power", in a theoretical sense. If
you can solve a problem with one, most of the time you'll be able to
solve it with the other. So we could say that the languages are
"equal".

 However, in practice, the syntax matters a lot. For example, they
will influence on the maintainability and the performance of your
application.

> what can i do easily with python which is not easy in c++/java !?

 Pretty much everything. Python syntax is minimalist, so it requires
much less code. There are many examples in Wikipedia, for example:

 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_datagram_protocol#Sample_code_.28Python.29
 http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radix_sort#C.C3.B3digo_em_Java
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Observer_pattern#Python

 etc.