]ANN[ Vellum 0.16: Lots Of Documentation and Watching

hdante hdante at gmail.com
Tue May 6 16:27:13 EDT 2008

On May 5, 3:26 pm, vivai... at gmail.com (Ville M. Vainio) wrote:
> "Zed A. Shaw" <zeds... at zedshaw.com> writes:
>
> > GPLv3?
>
> > How do people feel about Vellum's GPLv3 status?  It actually doesn't
> > impact anyone unless you embed Vellum into a project/product or you
>
> Yeah, but it effectively prevents people from embedding it into their
> apps that wish to remain BSD/MIT clean.

 That's not a good argument. "GPL has the problem that if people don't
want to use GPL, then they can't use the GPL'd code."

 GPL can mix with other free software licenses, so people who write
BSD code and do not wish to remain BSD clean are free to use GPL'd
code. That's the important point.

> It's not likely that some evil corporation is going to hijack Vellum
> source code as a basis of their next evil app (which is basically what
> GPL is used to prevent) any time soon, so I don't really see a
> particular reason for such a developer-oriented tool to be released
> under GPL.

 Viral licenses only serve that purpose ("protecting from evil
corporations"). If he licensed Vellum with GPL in the first place,
he's worried about that.

> Basically, avoiding GPL maximizes the brainshare that a small-ish tool

 True, but you may never ever see the brilliant result of that
brainshare work. Thus, for the author, your sentence is false.

> is going to attract, and many (including myself, FWIW) view GPL as a

 How many ?