]ANN[ Vellum 0.16: Lots Of Documentation and Watching

Ville M. Vainio vivainio at gmail.com
Mon May 5 14:26:17 EDT 2008

"Zed A. Shaw" <zedshaw at zedshaw.com> writes:

> GPLv3?
>
> How do people feel about Vellum's GPLv3 status?  It actually doesn't
> impact anyone unless you embed Vellum into a project/product or you

Yeah, but it effectively prevents people from embedding it into their
apps that wish to remain BSD/MIT clean.

It's not likely that some evil corporation is going to hijack Vellum
source code as a basis of their next evil app (which is basically what
GPL is used to prevent) any time soon, so I don't really see a
particular reason for such a developer-oriented tool to be released
under GPL.

Basically, avoiding GPL maximizes the brainshare that a small-ish tool
is going to attract, and many (including myself, FWIW) view GPL as a
big turn-off when I consider spending some time to familiarize myself
with a tool, or recommending it to someone else.