Python application distribution

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Thu May 1 14:06:04 EDT 2008

> I haven't figured out a way to do this but see no reason why it cannot be
> done.  I have a decent size application written in 100% Python.  I would
> like to distribute this application, but only the .pyc files.  Since the
> .pyc's are just the compiled sources I figured it would work, but if I copy
> just the pyc's and my main app's py into a directory by themselves, I'm
> unable to execute.  Why is this?

This should work fine. What precisely are you doing to execute it, and
how precisely does it fail?

> At this point I'm not really keen on
> handing out the source files to my application, it feels unprofessional.

I don't consider it unprofessional. If the software is packaged that
the end user readily notices the difference - that's unprofessional.
IOW, unless the user browsers your app's directory, he shouldn't even
have to know that the application is written in Python.

Regards,
Martin