need some help in serving static files inside a wsgi apps

kib kib2 at free.fr
Sat May 24 10:41:26 EDT 2008

Diez B. Roggisch a écrit :
> Tool69 schrieb:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Until now, I was running my own static site with Python, but I'm in
>> need of dynamism.
>>
>> After reading some cgi tutorials, I saw Joe Gregorio's old article
>> "Why so many Python web frameworks?" about wsgi apps [http://
>> bitworking.org/news/Why_so_many_Python_web_frameworks] and have a
>> question about it. The code he gave works like a charm (I had to make
>> a little change because SQLAlchemy has changed since), but how the
>> hell can I serve static files (css, js, images, etc.) within an wsgi
>> app, ie inside a '/static' directory ?!
>
> There is a wsgi-app out there that is called "static". Use that.
>
> And it's the first hit on google "wsgi static"... :)
>
> http://lukearno.com/projects/static/
>
> Diez

Hi Diez,

and thanks for yout help. In fact I already found it but never managed
to get it work because the static doc says :

from wsgiref.simple_server import make_server
import static
make_server('localhost', 9999, static.Cling('/var/www')).serve_forever()

and inside J.Gregorio's tutorial it is:

from wsgiref.simple_server import WSGIServer, WSGIRequestHandler
httpd = WSGIServer(('localhost', 8080), WSGIRequestHandler)
httpd.set_app(urls.urls)

It does not use 'make_server()' so how can I adapt it ?

I finally managed to work with static files with a little hack, but it's
ugly because I'm reading each static file per request.

Kib.