New to Python, Discussion Groups.

cmoller cmoller at dpbioventures.com
Sun May 18 20:34:29 EDT 2008

Hi,

I am new to Python and the use of discussion groups. Is there a FAQ
for basic information so certain questions are not repeated?

I am NOT an experienced programmer, but have decided to write a data
logger for sensors sending data via an internal ethernet work to
machines running OS X (Intel). The program should store data and allow
real time plotting. It does not need a beautiful GUI, but I may want
to share the program with others, so it should be somewhat intuitive.
It looks like I could use Python to access MS Excel, which would
significantly reduce the effort, but I am not sure if this is
practical. I am not in a hurry and would approach the problem as a way
to learn.

The data I am processing is readily seen via telnet so I know it's
there.

Is Python a good choice or should I invest in learning a language well
known to be best for applications like this? Are there other key
topics in addition to network programing that I should be focusing on?

Thanks,

Chris