multiple Python versions, but on Windows (how to handle registry updates)

Banibrata Dutta banibrata.dutta at gmail.com
Sun May 11 00:15:26 EDT 2008

Thanks Gabriel & Terry. Those explanations make perfect sense.

What is the recommended way, to find the "compatible" packages that include
.dll's / .pyd's or dependencies that are Python release specific ? For
example, is there a 'yum' or other automatic dependency checking mechanism
which works accross OS's (Windows & Linux), which will allow me to find the
other (s.a. 3rd party) packages, which would work with say Python2.2 ? Is it
a completely manual exercise, where I read the README or Package Notes or
Release Notes, and figure out the required version of package ?

On 5/11/08, Gabriel Genellina <gagsl-py2 at yahoo.com.ar> wrote:

> En Sat, 10 May 2008 01:38:24 -0300, Banibrata Dutta <
> banibrata.dutta at gmail.com> escribió:
>
> > given that I already have Python2.5 installed & will install Python2.4,
> will
> > copying the ../Lib/site-packages/ from 2.5 into 2.4's, work ?
> > i think the answer is "no", but still asking. is it package specific ?
> >
> > does it matter if the packages were egg drops ?
>
> Packages containing only .py modules ("pure" packages) are OK; packages
> using C extensions (.dll, .pyd) have to be rebuilt (or you have to download
> the binaries for the other Python version).
>
> --
> Gabriel Genellina
>
> --

regards,