Python MIDI in 2008

Maciej Bliziński maciej.blizinski at gmail.com
Tue May 6 04:01:28 EDT 2008

For the last couple of days, I've been looking for a Python midi
library. I'm generally interested in sending MIDI events via ALSA. It
seems like everything out there is pretty old; packages are from 2003
or 2005. Some packages don't seem to be really used, for instance
portmidi doesn't even support installing it system-wide; you can
compile it and... no make install for you.

What I've found so far:
- http://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonInMusic mostly point to non-
existing or very old software packages
- http://www.mxm.dk/products/public/pythonmidi/ -- no realtime support

Promising packages:
- http://trac2.assembla.com/pkaudio/browser/pyrtmidi -- something
realtime, but I couldn't get the actual Subversion repository address
- http://alumni.media.mit.edu/~harrison/code.html -- seems promising,
but I haven't got it running. You can't (system-wide) install
portmidi, and pyportmidi seems to want portmidi installed.

Is there any other package that allows sending MIDI events in real
time? Did anyone recently got any of the above packages to work?

Maciej