Learning Python for no reason

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Mon May 12 13:37:48 EDT 2008

> Hopefully this question even makes sense!

I completely agree that you don't need to spend time on
learning a language if you don't plan on using it; I'll
leave alone the entire discussion of doing things for fun
only (you don't *need* to eat ice cream, either - right?)

OTOH: do you plan to do any programming at all, in your
life? If yes: consider using Python for every programming
task you'll encounter - unless there are outside constraints
demanding a different language. Python is flexible enough
for *all* you programming needs (I claim); then the acquired
knowledge will be useful.

To be effective in a language, you need to be fluent in it.
This involves both passive reading, as well as active
experimentation.

HTH,
Martin