php vs python

Jerry Stuckle jstucklex at attglobal.net
Sun May 25 17:09:43 EDT 2008

Ivan Illarionov wrote:
> On Sun, 25 May 2008 13:28:25 -0700, NC wrote:
> [...]
>> A quick look at the revision log:
>>
>> http://byteflow.su/log/
>>
>> reveals that the initial commit of 60 or so files has been done on
>> 08/14/07
>> (10 months ago), a second developer came on board 12/01/07 (seven+
>> months ago),
>> a third one, on 01/04/08 (six+ months ago), a fourth one, on 01/16/08
>> (also
>> six+ months ago).  There are at least nine discernible contributors
>> overall.
>> Say what you will, but it still looks an awful lot like like two man-
>> years,
>> Django or no Django...
>
> I bet that if they did this with PHP framework they where far from where
> they are now.

Yep, I'd bet they would be much further along.

> I didn't say that it's not possible to write good code in PHP, I said
> that Python and Django encourage cleaner code more than PHP and PHP
> frameworks do.

I repeat.  The language has nothing to do with it.  Good programmers
write good code.  Lousy programmers write bad code.

> IMHO Python language is better designed and this influences everything
> written in it.

A lot of people don't share the opinion that it is "better designed".

> Yes, it's possible to write something clean in PHP but it would require a
> lot more work.

Not at all.  I do it every day.

And BTW - yes, I write Python, also.  But I find I can write better,
faster code in PHP.

Do you write PHP?

--
Remove the "x" from my email address