defining a method that could be used as instance or static method

Gerard Flanagan grflanagan at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 12:07:19 EDT 2008

On Mar 10, 4:39 pm, Sam <samuel.pro... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello
>
> I would like to implement some kind of comparator, that could be
> called as instance method, or static method. Here is a trivial pseudo
> code of what I would like to execute
>
> >> class MyClass:
>
> ...    def __init__(self, value):
> ...        self.value = value
> ...    def comp(self, compValue):
> ...        return self.value == compValue.value>> a = MyClass(3)
> >> b = MyClass(4)
> >> c = MyClass(3)
> >> a.comp(b)
> False
> >> a.comp(c)
>
> True
>
> This is actually achieved by MyClass, how could implement it in order
> to accept:
>
> >> MyClass.comp(a, b)
>
> False
>
> I would really appreciate a pointer or a way to complete MyClass in
> order to fulfill my requirements. Thank you for your attention.
>
> Sam

class MyClass(object):
    '''
    >>> a = MyClass(3)
    >>> b = MyClass(4)
    >>> c = MyClass(3)
    >>> a.isequal(b)
    False
    >>> a.isequal(c)
    True
    >>> MyClass.comp(a, b)
    False
    >>> MyClass.comp(a, c)
    True
    '''
    def __init__(self, val):
        self.value = val

    @staticmethod
    def comp(a, b):
        return a.value == b.value

    def isequal(self, b):
        return self.comp(self, b)

if __name__ == '__main__':
    import doctest
    options = doctest.ELLIPSIS | doctest.NORMALIZE_WHITESPACE
    doctest.testmod(optionflags=options)