GUI toolkits with Tkinter's .pack() alternative

Alex9968 noname9968 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 07:57:52 EDT 2008

Guilherme Polo wrote:
> 2008/3/27, Alex9968 <noname9968 at gmail.com>:
>
>> Guilherme Polo wrote:
>>  > 2008/3/27, Alex9968 <noname9968 at gmail.com>:
>>  >
>>  >> Guilherme Polo wrote:
>>  >>  > 2008/3/26, Alex9968 <noname9968 at gmail.com>:
>>  >>  >
>>  >>  >> Hi all,
>>  >>  >>
>>  >>  >>  I use Tkinter's Pack widget geometry manager (I really prefer it over
>>  >>  >>  using visual GUI designers), so my question is which other GUI toolkits
>>  >>  >>  have similar functionality.
>>  >>  >>
>>  >>  >
>>  >>  > The geometry manager isn't related to using GUI designers tools at
>>  >>  > all. And each toolkit has it's own way to do the things, wxPython uses
>>  >>  > sizers, PyGtk uses containers.
>>  >>  >
>>  >>
>>  >> Well, the geometry manager isn't *directly* related to using GUI
>>  >>  designers, but as Pack arranges widgets automatically, using GUI
>>  >>  designers isn't required, while with geometry managers that don't, GUI
>>  >>  designers are necessary (if you start placing widgets programmatically,
>>  >>  you'll end up reinventing something like Tkinter's Pack or Grid geometry
>>  >>  manager). I hope I can be understood clearly this time ;-)
>>  >>
>>  >
>>  > Not at all, can't understand your point yet. GUI designers aren't just
>>  > for placing widgets, they also will keep the interface design
>>  > separated from your code.
>>  >

>> I do not want to separate interface from code and I do not experience
>>  the need to use GUI designers.
>>

> It is your opinion, it seems I can't change it for now but I hope you
> reconsider it for the future.
>

>>  Pack arranges widgets perfectly, and it's very complex to do the same
>>  without it, both in code and in GUI designer.
>>

> For some level of "perfect", of course.
> Also, I can't understand why you say it is hard to do such thing in a
> gui designer tool, which tool have you tried ? Maybe you are not
> familiar with them yet, and that could be the problem.

Can you explain why my opinion is to be reconsidered? In GUI designer
it's easy to produce initial (still) layout, but what if it should be
changed at runtime (for example, widgets added or removed), and still be
ideally arranged? I know that widgets might have some parameters
affecting for example how they move when their container is resized, and
that might help when updating interface, but I think it's inconvenient
that they're hidden inside their property sheets (and therefore
invisible while designing).

I should answer the question - I used Visual C# from Microsoft Visual
Studio .NET 2003, and after moving to Python I did not use any GUI designer.