Where's GUI for Python?

Peter Decker pydecker at gmail.com
Sun Mar 2 09:47:17 EST 2008

On Sat, Mar 1, 2008 at 10:04 PM, Bill <nothanks at null.invalid> wrote:

>  You should also take a look at wxGlade:
>
>      http://wxglade.sourceforge.net/
>
>  which sits on top of wxPython:
>
>      http://wxpython.org/
>
>  which wraps wxWidgets:
>
>      http://www.wxwindows.org/

I have used wxGlade, and while it worked well enough, it didn't seem
to fit my brain. I always found myself "thinking backwards" in order
to guess how the tool needed me to do things.

>  I've found that wxGlade is more usable, currently, than Dabo in it's
>  visual layout tools that help you create the GUI for your apps.

I didn't like that wxGlade generated code. If I later edited the code,
I could no longer use wxGlade to refine the design.

I've been amazed that so many people actually *like* working with
wxPython-style code. I always hated it, and even tried a few times to
make my own wrapper to insulate me from it (it was never very good).
When I found out about Dabo, I took to it instantly and got much more
productive very quickly. I was certain that everyone else would
respond the way that I did.

Obviously that's not what happened. I think that one of the reasons is
that I never coded in C++, so the ALL_CAPS_CONSTANTS style and the
whole getter/setter mentality seemed foreign to me. I'm a Python
programmer, and don't have to switch gears when writing UI code
anymore. I think if you like the sort of code that you need to use
wxPython directly, you're probably perfectly happy to code at that
level. For me, though, everytime I see raw wxPython code these days I
cringe, and am thankful that I don't have to deal with it anymore.

--

# p.d.