Where's GUI for Python?

Bill nothanks at null.invalid
Sat Mar 1 23:04:06 EST 2008

Peter Decker wrote, On 3/1/2008 9:58 PM:
> On Sat, Mar 1, 2008 at 3:35 PM, K Viltersten <tmp1 at viltersten.com> wrote:
>> I'm certain there is an API for creating
>>  GUI's but as far i can find it in the
>>  http://docs.python.org/tut/tut.html
>>  the only "gui" is in "Guido".
>
> Check out Dabo: http://dabodev.com
>
> It uses the wxPython UI toolkit, but wraps it in a much more Pythonic API.
>
> I've been using Dabo for over a year, and it rocks!!

Hi Peter,

You should also take a look at wxGlade:

     http://wxglade.sourceforge.net/

which sits on top of wxPython:

     http://wxpython.org/

which wraps wxWidgets:

     http://www.wxwindows.org/

I've found that wxGlade is more usable, currently, than Dabo in it's
visual layout tools that help you create the GUI for your apps.

If you want a more "Pythonic" API (more than wxPython/wxWidgets) and
want to write your GUI using mainly code instead of a visual layout
tool, then Dabo is probably the way to go.

If you want an interactive application that lets you visually create
Frame or Dialog based applications, full of "widgets", then wxGlade is
pretty good these days.  Dabo, last time I looked, didn't yet have a
usable visual menu creation capability in it's toolset, and this is a
major reason, for me, that I currently have gravitated back to wxGlade.
  Also, although Dabo has a "Class Designer" that can design the GUI
visually, and is in some ways more advanced than wxGlade, it seems in
other ways to be more limiting.

Neither one, unfortunately, is very well documented, but wxGlade is
fairly obvious, and directly generates wxPython code (not a "higher
level" API as is done in Dabo), which lets you use the wxGlade and
wxWidgets documentation to figure things out.

Also, BTW, I think the statement on the wxGlade site about "the
generated code does nothing apart from displaying the created widgets",
is not really true, and should be re-worded.  Current versions of
wxGlade include the capability to automatically create simple
event-handler functions, and automatically generates the code to connect
the events generated by the GUI widgets to the event handlers.  In my
opinion, this is much more than doing "nothing apart from displaying the
created widgets".  It helps make it real easy to call your handler
functions, and I don't really want it doing much more than that anyway.

In either case, when you write your own code, it is probably best to
learn how to have the tool generate the code containing the classes that
form the GUI interface, but, use derived classes (subclasses) in your
own separate file(s) to form your application's interface to the GUI.
That way, you can let wxGlade (or Dabo) always generate (and overwrite)
its own code that remains entirely separate from your own code.

Bill