Do any of you recommend Python as a first programming language?

André andre.roberge at gmail.com
Sat Mar 22 15:04:08 EDT 2008

On Mar 22, 3:48 pm, Arnaud Delobelle <arno... at googlemail.com> wrote:
> jmDesktop <needin4mat... at gmail.com> writes:
> > For students 9th - 12th grade, with at least Algebra I.  Do you think
> > Python is a good first programming language for someone with zero
> > programming experience?  Using Linux and Python for first exposure to
> > programming languages and principles.
>
> I'm not from the US and I'm not sure what 9th/12th grade are, but if
> you want to use programming to explore maths, er I mean math, have a
> look at the sage project:

9th grade roughly corresponds to 3e collège and 10th/12th grade
roughly correspond to the first three years of "le lycée" - although
from my past teaching experience (as a physicist) in French, I have
concluded that mathematics is taught at a higher level in France than
it is in North America - simply looking at the various books available
on given topics.

> http://www.sagemath.org/

Sage is great.  However, I think it is much too advanced for 9th/12th
grade. Furthermore, the OP was looking for suggestion teaching
*programming*, not math.

André