Do any of you recommend Python as a first programming language?

Larry Bates larry.bates at websafe.com`
Sat Mar 22 15:00:26 EDT 2008

jmDesktop wrote:
> For students 9th - 12th grade, with at least Algebra I.  Do you think
> Python is a good first programming language for someone with zero
> programming experience?  Using Linux and Python for first exposure to
> programming languages and principles.
>
> Thank you.

ABSOLUTELY.  Get them started with a REAL programming language that will
teach them proper fundamentals.  I wish Python would have been around 25
years ago when I taught incoming Freshmen at local University.  To get
students to understand about variable references, etc. I always started
them with Assembler so they could understand what was actually going on.
I see so may on this forum that have the wrong ideas about variable names/
storage.

Good Luck,
Larry Bates