PyCon Feedback and Volunteers (Re: Pycon disappointment)

Jarek Zgoda jzgoda at o2.usun.pl
Mon Mar 17 07:49:57 EDT 2008

Paul Boddie napisał(a):

>> I haven't been to EuroPython even when it has been fairly nearby
>> because the entrance fee was to high. But how do you help change
>> something like that?
>
> You could join in and make your case. There was a more protracted
> discussion than usual last year about fees because some people pointed
> out the discrepancy between salary and price levels in different parts
> of Europe and the need to make the conference more affordable: what
> may be relatively inexpensive for some might be relatively expensive
> for others, and the organisers felt that it would be foolish to
> exclude the latter group, particularly when they may be more likely to
> travel to the conference in its present location.
>
> It's hard to say whether the conference is reaching everyone it
> should, given the composition of attendees:
>
> http://www.europython.org/community/Planning/Projections

I did not event think on attending EuroPython in Switzerland due to high
cost of 3-day accomodation there (relatively to my wage these times).
Lithuania seems to be not much more expensive than my home country, so
I'll travel to Vilnius this year too. I thionk it was valid for others
in Poland too, judging from the figures you mention.

> But without anyone to pursue a particular cause, and with decisions
> needing to be made within certain timeframes (which is often a
> struggle, anyway), things often get preserved as they are rather than
> being improved. I live in a European country which is either number
> one or two on the price scale (depending on whether you include
> alcohol prices or not), and I can't say what the right fee level
> should be (other than "possibly lower than it is") - it's up to others
> to weigh in and give their opinion, I think.

EUR 100 does not seem too high as early bird registration fee, so the
most intimidating costs (for me at least) is accomodation and travel. I
mean, lowering the fee would be nice, but not essential to me.

--
Jarek Zgoda
Skype: jzgoda | GTalk: zgoda at jabber.aster.pl | voice: +48228430101

"We read Knuth so you don't have to." (Tim Peters)