Licensing

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Mon Mar 31 11:14:23 EDT 2008

On 31 Mar, 09:36, Duncan Booth <duncan.bo... at invalid.invalid> wrote:

> I don't have a printed copy, but Google Books has it (not sure which
> edition I found) and page xix says:
>
> Given the nature of the cookbook, we wanted the recipes to be usable under
> any circumstances where Python could be used. In other words, we wanted to
> ensure completely unfettered use, in the same spirit as the Python license.
> Unfortunately, the Python license cannot really be used to refer to
> anything other than Python itself. As a compromise, we chose to use the
> modified Berkeley license, which is considered the most liberal of
> licenses. ... and then the license follows ...
>
> So, if the recipe is in the printed cookbook the licensing is clear
> (primarily you must retain the copyright notice).

The best advice I've found so far is the following:

http://www.softwarefreedom.org/resources/2007/gpl-non-gpl-collaboration.html

It spells out exactly what you have to do to satisfy the original
licence and to uphold your own licence choice. It's also written by
well-regarded legal people.

Paul

P.S. An older and more ambiguous conclusion on the topic can be found
here: http://groups.google.com/group/linux.kernel/msg/4c8b3114c35df368