Licensing

Duncan Booth duncan.booth at invalid.invalid
Mon Mar 31 03:36:00 EDT 2008

Paul Boddie <paul at boddie.org.uk> wrote:

> Note that the Python Cookbook says this about licensing: "Except where
> otherwise noted, recipes in the Python Cookbook are published under
> the Python license." The link is incorrect, but I presume they mean
> this licence:
>
> http://www.python.org/psf/license/

I don't have a printed copy, but Google Books has it (not sure which
edition I found) and page xix says:

Given the nature of the cookbook, we wanted the recipes to be usable under
any circumstances where Python could be used. In other words, we wanted to
ensure completely unfettered use, in the same spirit as the Python license.
Unfortunately, the Python license cannot really be used to refer to
anything other than Python itself. As a compromise, we chose to use the
modified Berkeley license, which is considered the most liberal of
licenses. ... and then the license follows ...

So, if the recipe is in the printed cookbook the licensing is clear
(primarily you must retain the copyright notice).