Strange behavior of the Eclipse embedded console

Preston Landers planders at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 16:55:33 EDT 2008

On Mar 20, 9:09 am, hellt <Dodin.Ro... at gmail.com> wrote:

> "The eclipse console is not an exact copy of a shell... one of the
> changes is that when you press <ENTER> in a shell, it may give you a
> \r, \n or \r\n as an end-line char, depending on your platform. Python
> does not expect this -- from the docs it says that it will remove the
> last \n (checked in version 2.4), but, in some platforms that will
> leave a \r there. This means that the raw_input() should usually be
> used as raw_input().replace('\r', ''), and input() should be changed
> for: eval(raw_input().replace('\r', ''))."

While I do love Eclipse as a Python code editor, interactive debugger,
front-end to SVN / Trac, and for many other things... it is
unfortunately terrible as an interactive console.

But then again, despite being a long time Emacs user I never did
anything complex inside Emacs' shell / terminal emulator, instead
preferring a 'real' console using xterm or rxvt or konsole or what
have you.

By the way, so far the only text editing feature from Emacs I am
missing in Eclipse is the ability to reformat line endings - i.e., M-x
fill-paragraph-or-region

regards
Preston