Removal of tkinter from python 3.0? [was: Fate of the repr module in Py3.0]

Kay Schluehr kay.schluehr at gmx.net
Thu Mar 20 08:40:45 EDT 2008

> Is it just me or others also think that it would be a major loss to
> remove tkinter from the python core? PEP 3108 starts off with:
>
> Each module to be removed needs to have a justification as to why it
> should no longer be distributed with Python.

>From time to time someone makes a serious claim about ineptness of
using significant whitespace on Windows servers because "My customer
doesn't let me install a reasonable editor. So I'm forced me to use MS
Notepad!". These poor guys can still use IDLE once they have a running
Python installation.

I'm definitely with you and batteries included.

Note also that Tk which seemed to be comatose for a long time seems to
recover and doesn't look that bad anyome:

http://www.tcl.tk/software/tcltk/8.5.html
http://wiki.tcl.tk/13636