Removal of tkinter from python 3.0? [was: Fate of the repr module in Py3.0]

Daniel Fetchinson fetchinson at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 20 03:39:48 EDT 2008

> Was looking at PEP 3108, http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-3108/ ,
> and saw that the repr module was slated for vaporization. I've only
> used the module a few times ever. I'm curious if the community wants
> it kept around or whether it is considered clutter.
>
> The PEP is going to be finalized soon, so if you have issues with it,
> they should be sent to the PEP author or brought up on the list,
> http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/stdlib-sig .

Is it just me or others also think that it would be a major loss to
remove tkinter from the python core? PEP 3108 starts off with:

Each module to be removed needs to have a justification as to why it
should no longer be distributed with Python.

then goes on with,

With so many other GUI options out there that are considered better
than Tkinter, it might be best to remove Tkinter from the stdlib and
make it an externally maintained package.

I don't get it. There are many [insert your favorite software
component] options outside of the python core that are considered
better than the one coming with python, yet they don't get removed.
All network servers for example could be thrown out because twisted is
considered better. This just doesn't make sense to me. Tkinter is
great for its purpose, typical use cases are creating a simple GUI
composed of a couple of components only. You can nicely do this with
tkinter and the large user base shows that it's a real need real
people have. Sure, for fancy GUI stuff there are better options but
for quick and simple things tkinter is just great. And last time I
checked python comes with batteries included so why sould I need to
search and download a third party package for such a common use case?

Thoughts anyone?

Cheers,
Daniel