any good g.a.'s?

castironpi at gmail.com castironpi at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 14:59:58 EDT 2008

On Mar 25, 11:03 am, Tim Chase <python.l... at tim.thechases.com> wrote:
> > Any good genetic algorithms involving you-split, i-pick?
>
> I've always heard it as "you divide, I decide"...
>
> That said, I'm not sure how that applies in a GA world.  It's
> been a while since I've done any coding with GAs, but I don't
> recall any facets related to the You Divide, I Decide problem.
> It sounds like a simple optimization of "equality", which would
> be a normal use of a GA.  This would apply for both the division
> and the decision, depending on which side the GA is (the "you" or
> the "I") or two diff. GAs can be on either side of the process.
>
> -tkc

There's an iterated solution (no link) for more than two players.  Say
two GAs encounter the same resource (or if some is left after they've
begun consuming)-- i.e., encounter each other, a strict survival-of-
fittest can arise among a population, even leading to specialization
and organ.

I'm not sure if time factors in however, i.e. whether GAs are useful
in spacetime; bacteria Firmicute produce spores to guard during
stress.  What do ideal structures have in common with real ones?; and
if so, does you-split-i-pick yield anything useful in ideality?  What
are ideal bacteria, what do they want, and are they interesting?