Regarding coding style

D'Arcy J.M. Cain darcy at druid.net
Fri Mar 7 11:58:38 EST 2008

On Fri, 7 Mar 2008 17:31:35 +0100
"K Viltersten" <tmp1 at viltersten.com> wrote:
> I've been recommended reading of:
> http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0008/
> and in there i saw two things that i
> need to get elaborated.
>

> 1. When writing English, Strunk and
> White apply.
>
> Where can i download it? Am i actually
> expected to read the whole book? How
> many people actually do aply it?

"The Elements of Style" by William Strunk Jr. and E.B. White.  The
original, revised edition was published in 1935.  The third edition is
copyright 1979 and published by MacMillan Publishing Co., Inc., NY,
NY.  There may be a later version with an ISBN but this one doesn't
have one.

It's a very small book, 4-1/2" by 7", 81 pages.  If you are writing
English it is worth browsing from time to time.

> 2. You should use two spaces after a
> sentence-ending period.
>
> For heavens sake, why? I've always been
> obstructed by the double blanks but
> tolerated them. Now, that i read that
> it actually is a recommendation, i need
> to ask about the purpose.

Like many things of this nature, the purpose is to follow the rules of
correct English usage.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy at druid.net>         |  Democracy is three wolves