Regarding coding style

Jeff Schwab jeff at schwabcenter.com
Fri Mar 7 12:11:57 EST 2008

K Viltersten wrote:
> I've been recommended reading of:
> http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0008/
> and in there i saw two things that i need to get elaborated.
>

> 1. When writing English, Strunk and White apply.
>
> Where can i download it? Am i actually
> expected to read the whole book?

It's a short book, and worth your time.  Searching does turn up free
downloads, but I recommend the illustrated version (of which I own a copy).

http://www.libraryshop.org/elofstilbywi.html

> How many people actually do aply it?

The problem is how many people don't.

> 2. You should use two spaces after a sentence-ending period.
>
> For heavens sake, why? I've always been obstructed by the double blanks
> but tolerated them. Now, that i read that
> it actually is a recommendation, i need to ask about the purpose.

(a) It makes the ends of sentences more visually obvious.
(b) It makes text easier to parse reliably from scripts.
(c) Some text-editors can navigate such sentences out of the box,
whereas others cannot.  (I recall this limitation with Emacs'
text-editing major mode, though it may have been fixed since then; I
switched to Vim about five years ago.)