Python installation problem

Lie Lie.1296 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 9 00:07:48 EST 2008

On Mar 9, 11:42 am, cosmo_gene... at yahoo.com wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I downloaded a pre-compiled version 2.5, and intalled it without any
> error message; and I can command line playing on Python through firing
> up IDLE or command-line. However, I just can't compile the python file
> existing in a directory. Today, I tried to fire Python in a DOS
> window, then I got error message: Python is not a runnable command or
> batch file. It means that the eveiornment variables of my Python
> interpreter are not set well yet. My computer runs a Windows XP.
> Anyboy can help on this? Thanks!
>
> Muddy Coder

AFAIK, Python doesn't set environment variables in Windows. To change
the environment variable, you go to Control Panel > System > Advanced
> Environment Variables > System Variables > In "Path" entry, add
Python's installation directory to the end of it (remember to separate
it from other directories with semicolons ;

Alternatively, you can cd your way through python's directory and
always feed absolute path to python.exe, very tiresome, but doesn't
require you to add the environment variable.