Subprocess and /usr/bin/dialog

harrelson harrelson at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 18:15:16 EDT 2008

I am trying to get the below code to work and can't quite make things
happen.  This is with Python 2.5.1.  Dialog is doing something odd...
I have tinkered with different combinations and I can't get the dialog
to show properly-- it does show properly directly in the shell.  Any
hints?

import subprocess
command = '/usr/bin/dialog --clear --title "title" --menu "text" 20 50
5 "a" "this and that" "c" "3 this and that" "b" "2 this and that" "d"
"4 this and that"'
proc = subprocess.Popen(command, shell=True, stdout=subprocess.PIPE,
stderr=subprocess.STDOUT)
#proc = subprocess.Popen(command, shell=True, stdout=subprocess.PIPE)
stderr_value = proc.communicate()[0]
print stderr_value