How to implement command line tool integrating parsing engine

sturlamolden sturlamolden at yahoo.no
Sat Mar 22 11:02:44 EDT 2008

On 22 Mar, 14:48, llandre <r... at dave-tech.it> wrote:

> - it must run both on linux and windows PC
> - it must interact with an electronic device connected to the PC through
> serial cable

Python should be fine.

> - initially the program must be written in the form of simple command
> line tool that is invoked like this:
>         program <script_file.txt>

python script_file.py

> - in the future, it must be possible to develop a graphical frontend on
> top of it; the resulting look&feel should be similar on linux and windows.

Python has numerous cross-platform GUI libraries.

> As I never used python, I ask you:
> 1) about the script file, which language - for which a parsing engine is
> already available in python - do you suggest?

I'd suggest Python...

> 2) about the graphical frontend, which graphical libraries do you recommend?

wxPython, PyGTK, tkinter, PyQt, or PyGame are some options.

I have started to prefer wxPython together with wxFormBuilder for my
graphical frontends.

http://sturlamolden.blogspot.com/2008/03/howto-using-wxformbuilder-with-wxpython.html