PyCon Feedback and Volunteers (Re: Pycon disappointment)

dundeemt dundeemt at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 21:25:32 EDT 2008

On Mar 17, 10:35 am, fumanchu <fuman... at aminus.org> wrote:
> On Mar 16, 5:09 pm, a... at pythoncraft.com (Aahz) wrote:
>
> > fumanchu  <fuman... at aminus.org> wrote:
> > > This is my third PyCon, and I've found a reasonably-sized cadre of
> > > people who come for the hallway conversations plus a Bof or two,
> > > having given up on hearing anything new, useful, or inspiring in the
> > > talks. There are several people I know who would like to see a more
> > > advanced academic track.
>
> > Finally, trying to satisfy a thousand people is impossible.
>
> Well understood. Sorry if I implied it was an easy job. I know it
> isn't.
>
> > If you did not like the programming this year (aside from the sponsor
> > talks) and you did not participate in organizing PyCon or in delivering
> > presentations, it is YOUR FAULT.  PERIOD.  EXCLAMATION POINT!
>
> This would be true, except that the two talks I proposed last year
> were essentially denied because they were too advanced, so I didn't
> even bother this year. Perhaps I should have, but the PERIOD needs to
> at least be replaced by a COMMA as long as the talk-acceptance
> committee continues to reject more advanced talk topics in favor of
> HOWTOs and Introduction To Package X.

I agree - the balance wasn't as good.  We can all agree that HowTos
and Intros are a necessary part of the conference talks track, but as
Robert pointed out some talks should be of a more advanced nature.  I
enjoy those that stretch my brain.  Alex M, Pyke and NetworkIO and
Mark Hammond's keynote were among my favorite talks.

-jeff hinrichs