PyCon Feedback and Volunteers (Re: Pycon disappointment)

fumanchu fumanchu at aminus.org
Mon Mar 17 11:35:15 EDT 2008

On Mar 16, 5:09 pm, a... at pythoncraft.com (Aahz) wrote:
> fumanchu  <fuman... at aminus.org> wrote:
> > This is my third PyCon, and I've found a reasonably-sized cadre of
> > people who come for the hallway conversations plus a Bof or two,
> > having given up on hearing anything new, useful, or inspiring in the
> > talks. There are several people I know who would like to see a more
> > advanced academic track.
>
> Finally, trying to satisfy a thousand people is impossible.

Well understood. Sorry if I implied it was an easy job. I know it
isn't.

> If you did not like the programming this year (aside from the sponsor
> talks) and you did not participate in organizing PyCon or in delivering
> presentations, it is YOUR FAULT.  PERIOD.  EXCLAMATION POINT!

This would be true, except that the two talks I proposed last year
were essentially denied because they were too advanced, so I didn't
even bother this year. Perhaps I should have, but the PERIOD needs to
at least be replaced by a COMMA as long as the talk-acceptance
committee continues to reject more advanced talk topics in favor of
HOWTOs and Introduction To Package X.

Robert Brewer
fumanchu at aminus.org