Summary of threading for experienced non-Python programmers?

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Fri Mar 28 10:52:07 EDT 2008

I'm having trouble explaining the benefits and tradeoffs of threads to my
coworkers and countering their misconceptions about Python's threading model
and facilities.  They all come from C++ and are used to thinking of
multithreading as a way to harness multiple CPU cores for compute-bound
processing.  I also encountered, "Python doesn't really do threads" today.
*sigh*

I don't need pointers to the relevant documentation sections.  A bit of
googling didn't turn up much about threading beyond tutorial introductions.
I'm looking for something which will explain the rationale for using threads
in Python to someone who is experienced with multithreading in other
languages (like C/C++).  Maybe a compare-and-contrast sort of document?

Thanks,

Skip