Was the move to Python 2.0 as big a deal?

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Sat Jun 14 13:02:05 EDT 2008

On 2008-06-14, John Salerno <johnjsal at gmailNOSPAM.com> wrote:

> Just curious if people put up any resistance to 2.0 like some
> people do for 3.0.

Not that I remember.

> Was it as big of a change in the language, or was the
> transition smoother?

It was pretty much a non-event.  The changes from 1.x->2.0 were
mostly all backwards-compatible.

> Anyway, I'm just trying to figure out if the whole "I don't
> like 3.0" mentality

>From what I can tell, 2.x->3.0 is going to be a much larger
change than was 1.x->2.0.  A lot of code is going break (that
wasn't true with the 1.x->2.0 transition).

> (of some people, not all of course) is merely a result of it
> still being new and not even released yet, and will completely
> go away after a year or two; or if there really are such
> drastic changes that people won't want to adopt it at all.

My prediction is that it will be pretty much universally
adopted. It may take a couple years and will involve some
bitching an moaning, but it's pretty much an identity that

  open-source + Usenet == bitching and moaning

Some of us will always find something to complain about...

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! I hope I bought the
                                  at               right relish ... zzzzzzzzz