Was the move to Python 2.0 as big a deal?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sat Jun 14 12:48:16 EDT 2008

> Just curious if people put up any resistance to 2.0 like some people do
> for 3.0.

IIRC, yes, it was. People have continued to use Python 1.5.2 afterwards
for several years.

> Was it as big of a change in the language, or was the
> transition smoother?

The changes were significantly smaller, so the transition was smoother.

> It seems silly for anyone to say they would prefer
> to stick with 1.x versions at this point, so perhaps we'll get there
> with 3.0 eventually too.

People will continue to use 2.x for several years certainly.

> Anyway, I'm just trying to figure out if the whole "I don't like 3.0"
> mentality (of some people, not all of course) is merely a result of it
> still being new and not even released yet, and will completely go away
> after a year or two; or if there really are such drastic changes that
> people won't want to adopt it at all.

A year or two won't be sufficient. IMO, the resistance is due to the
feeling "it will cause me efforts to change my code, and I don't like
additional efforts". This is a reasonable point to take, IMO, so people
who have the time and inclination to convert their code will do so,
and many others won't. Over time, people will convert the code when they
do have the time (or the feeling that they shouldn't push it away
further). Eventually, those people will convert that need some kind of
library (change) that is only available for 3.x.

Regards,
Martin