Creating a TCP/IP connection on already-networked computers

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Sat Jun 14 12:55:20 EDT 2008

On 2008-06-14, John Salerno <johnjsal at gmailNOSPAM.com> wrote:

> Let me see if this question even makes sense...I'm reading
> Core Python Programming and I jumped ahead to the more
> specific topics like network programming. I plan to follow
> along with the example in that chapter and create a socket
> connection between my desktop and laptop.
>
> However, these two computers are already connected on my home
> network (using the Windows Network Setup Wizard), so I was
> wondering if this will have any effect on what I might try to
> do with Python.

I don't know the example programs you're talking about, but
it's a pretty good bet that the example programs won't work if
the two computers can't reach each other using IP networking.

> In other words, if the program I write actually works and
> allows the two computers to speak to each other, will that be
> a result purely of the program, or will it have anything to do
> with the fact that they are already on a home network
> together? (i.e. there's another variable in play?)

The two Python programs won't be able to communicate with each
other unless the two computers are already set up on network(s)
that allow the routing of IP packets between the two computers.
I presume that's what the "Network Setup Wizard" did (set up IP
networking), but I don't really do windows (I especially don't
do "Wizards" if I can avoid it).

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! Alright, you!!
                                  at               Imitate a WOUNDED SEAL