C++ or Python

Nick Craig-Wood nick at craig-wood.com
Sat Jun 28 07:32:35 EDT 2008

Kurda Yon <kurdayon at yahoo.com> wrote:
>  I would like to know what are advantages of Python in comparison with C
>  ++? In which cases and why Python can be a better tool than C++?

Python is a lot more fun than C++ ;-)

Anyway no need to use one or the other... I've done projects where
we've embedded python into into a large C++ program to give easy
scriptability to our application in a real language.  I've also done
the reverse - embedded C/C++ into python.  And for the really easy
option there is ctypes.

Given a blank canvas I'd start with python and then add a bit of C/C++
if some part of it was running too slowly.  If there were existing
C/C++ libraries then I'd use ctypes to interface with them.

I don't think I ever want to start another large C++ app - been there,
done that, got the (mental) scars to prove it ;-)

All my humble opinion of course!