Multiprecision arithmetic library question.

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Fri Jun 27 06:40:34 EDT 2008

duncan smith wrote:
> Michael Press wrote:
>> In article <slrng5homp.ihm.mdw at metalzone.distorted.org.uk>,
>>  Mark Wooding <mdw at distorted.org.uk> wrote:

>>> You know that Python already supports multiprecision integer arithmetic,
>>> right?  If you desperately want GMP, though, there's the gmpy module
>>> (q.g.).
>>
>> No, I do not know that. Define desperate. Does Python support the
>> extended Euclidean algorithm
>> and other number theory functions?
>> How fast does Python multiply?
>> Not that the latter is particularly important,
>> as C is built for speed.
>>
>> I've been fooling around. Ran dir(gmpy), and it does not show the full
>> complement of GMP
>> library functions, such as the various division
>> functions. e.g. mpz_tdiv_qr.
>>

> There's also
> http://www.egenix.com/products/python/mxExperimental/mxNumber/.  I'm not
> sure how the functionality compares to GMPY.

mxNumber is a implementation of number types that use GMP for the
internals. It doesn't expose all APIs available in GMP and also doesn't
use a 1-1 mapping. Instead, it wraps the basic types available in GMP
in Python objects which can be used just like normal Python numbers.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

2008-07-07: EuroPython 2008, Vilnius, Lithuania