Making wxPython a standard module?

Torsten Bronger bronger at physik.rwth-aachen.de
Sun Jun 15 11:47:31 EDT 2008

Hallöchen!

Grant Edwards writes:

> On 2008-06-14, Torsten Bronger <bronger at physik.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:
>
>>> You're saying that having the user or-together a bunch of
>>> bitmasks and pass the result as an integer is a common way for
>>> Python functions/object allow the user to turn optional features
>>> on and off?
>>
>> "Common" doesn't matter.
>
> Yes it does.  "Common in Python" is what defines "Pythonic".

Then I have your definition of it.  I don't think that it leads to
good design, though.  In case of doubt, choose what's common in
Python, but other characteristics must have higher priority.

>> Legibility and practicality matter.
>
> [...]  With a little practice and care, functional programming in
> prefix-notation (a-la Scheme) can both practical and legible,

Not legible for a Python-only programmer like me, and I am the
target audience.

> but it still isn't Pythonic.
>
> [...]
>
>>> They are sources of bugs.
>>
>> I don't think so.  What do you mean?
>
> Because certain flags are only to be used in certain contexts, but
> there's no way to force (or even to indicate) that usage to the
> user.

Related flags are orthogonal so that the library can well detect an
error.  Okay, you can pass a *very* wrong parameter, like telling
wxPython that this event should have an OK button, but I find this
problem case artificial.

> [...]
>
>> I used to use C++ before I switched to Python, but I don't see
>> any C++ in wxPython.
>
> The whole "flags" thing with a truckload of globally defined
> integer constants competing for a single namespace is pure C/C++.
> Were wxWidgets written in Python, I guarantee that wouldn't be the
> way it was done.

Well, of course it would look heavily different with a different
history but this applies to every piece of software.  As I said, I
used flags in my own package, designed with Python 2.4.  And I
consider myself a purist.  So, there are things that are bad or
sub-optimal, but flags are a matter of personal preference.

Tschö,
Torsten.

                   Jabber ID: torsten.bronger at jabber.rwth-aachen.de