Making wxPython a standard module?

Mike Driscoll kyosohma at gmail.com
Sun Jun 15 22:27:16 EDT 2008

Grant,

On Jun 14, 3:43 pm, Grant Edwards <gra... at visi.com> wrote:
> On 2008-06-14, Torsten Bronger <bron... at physik.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:
>
> >> I've never used any of the designers, but I agree 100% that
> >> wxPython code is nasty ugly. wxPython has a very un-Pythonic
> >> API that's is, IMO, difficult to use.
>
> > I know that such requests may start a never-ending thread but
> > I'd really like to know what you mean with this.
>
> [...]
>
> Well, if we want this thread to be never ending, I'd better put
> a little dramatic hyperbole into my answer, so here goes... ;)
>
> IMO, a few of the "un-Pythonic" things about wxPython are:

<snip>

>  4) sizers
>
>       "they're like aspirin -- they work, but nobody knows exactly how"
>
>     OK, that's a bit out-of-date since I seem to recall that
>     somebody did finally figure out how aspirin works a couple
>     years back.  The way sizers work seems pretty complex
>     compared to other GUI toolkits I've used, and the extra
>     complexity doesn't seem to provide any extra capability.
>
>     The one thing that seems to me to be particular complicated
>     is controlling which objects "stretch" in what axis when a
>     window is resized.  I've been using them for many years,
>     but I've never gotten them more than about 90% figured out.
>
>     Every time I write a wxPython apps, I'm initially surprised
>     at its behavior when the window is resized and have to
>     spend some trial-and-error time fiddling with the sizer
>     parameters.  I don't remember having to do that in tkInter
>     or in Trestle: things "just worked".

You have many valid points. But I enjoy wxPython more than the other
Python GUI toolkits I've tried, Currently, I'm working on a series of
articles on Sizers and other bits and pieces in wx on my blog. Some of
them are already in the wxPython wiki and if people think my other
ones are good enough, I'll add them too.

If you have some common GUI layouts (or widgets or something else)
you'd like me to try, I'll be happy to attempt to create a tutorial
around them. I admit that I'm no expert, especially compared to you.
You've been using wx far longer than I have, but if I can help, I
would like to. You can see my stuff here: http://www.blog.pythonlibrary.org/

Also, you might take a look at IronPython. I've been playing with it
of late and doing a GUI using WinForms has been surprisingly easy. And
with Mono, you get a mostly cross-platform kit to boot.

<snip>

> --
> Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! Those people look
>                                   at               exactly like Donnie and
>                                visi.com            Marie Osmond!!

Mike