gcc error in Mac OS X

Mathieu Prevot mathieu.prevot at ens.fr
Thu Jun 5 18:45:02 EDT 2008

2008/6/5 Zhaojie Boulder <gongchangzhaojie at gmail.com>:
> Hello,
> I am new to Mac and used python in linux before. What I am trying to do is
> to install "Ipython" and "PyCogent" in Mac OS X.
> For PyCogent, after entering the package path, I typed "python setup.py
> install". The results are as follows:
> Didn't find Pyrex - will compile from .c files
> running install
> running build
> running build_py
> running build_ext
> building 'cogent.align._compare' extension
> gcc -fno-strict-aliasing -Wno-long-double -no-cpp-precomp -mno-fused-madd
> -fno-common -dynamic -DNDEBUG -g -Os -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -DMACOSX
> -I/usr/include/ffi -DENABLE_DTRACE -arch i386 -arch ppc -pipe
> -I/Users/zhaojie/Downloads/PyCogent-1.0.1/include
> -I/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/include/python2.5
> -c cogent/align/_compare.c -o
> build/temp.macosx-10.5-i386-2.5/cogent/align/_compare.o -w
> unable to execute gcc: No such file or directory
> After google, I installed Xcode,but it did not help. Also, the Xcode folder
> is not within "applications" folder, but a separate one parallel with
> "applications". Dragging Xcode folder into the applications folder did not
> make a difference, either.
> Hope someone familiar with Mac can help me out.

Normally gcc is installed in /usr/bin. If you type "which gcc", it
should return "/usr/bin/gcc". Xcode is an IDE that use gcc or another
compiler eg. icc the Intel compiler, hence if you move Xcode in the
application folfer it won't change anything. You install Xcode by
double clicking on a .pkg file from your Leopard DVD.

You also can download gcc from the site and bootstrap/compile it.

Cheers
Mathieu