Making wxPython a standard module?

Diez B. Roggisch deets at nospam.web.de
Thu Jun 12 10:41:22 EDT 2008

> Just out of curiosity, what are the chances of this happening (sort of
> like what happened with sqlite)? I read somewhere that Guido said the only
> reason Tkinter is still the standard GUI module instead of wxPython is
> because "it was there first." Perhaps a joke, but it got me thinking that
> there could be a chance of this happening.

This has been discussed before. While tkInter might not be the greatest
toolkit out there it has two extreme advantages:

   - it is comparably small regarding the footprint. Few external
dependencies, small libraries, small python-wrapping.

   - it is available on a wide range of platforms.

   - it is very stable, not only wrt bugs but also regarding features. There
is no external pressure to update it frequently.

   - it is easily maintainable.

None of these apply to wx. It is huge, needs for example the whole GTK-libs
under linux. It is under active development, with rather frequent releases,
which means it is better to not tie it to a certain version because that
happens to be the version available when the current interpreter was
released.

For example, think of python2.4 - it has been released 4(!) years ago. It is
in wide usage. Around that time wx was at version 2.5. Now it is 2.8. So
either you upgrade wx in the subsequent released pyhton 2.4 versions - or
you are stuck with 3 minor revisions in the past, which I can only assume
are a major drawback.

And on a personal note: I find it *buttugly*. But that has nothing to do
with the reasons given above - nor do I have any weight in the decision to
include it or not... :)

Diez