Creating a TCP/IP connection on already-networked computers

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Sat Jun 14 21:53:11 EDT 2008

On 2008-06-15, John Salerno <johnjsal at gmailNOSPAM.com> wrote:

>> Is there any possibility you are confusing a Windows Workgroup
>> or Domain in this... (Assuming anyone still runs such) Or
>> other Windows convenience features to automatically detect
>> computers in a local area network and display them in "network
>> neighborhood".
>
> What I have is a desktop PC connected via ethernet cable to my
> cable modem. I also use a router and my laptop uses a wireless
> connection.  This alone, of course, doesn't connect the
> computers, AFAIK. It's just an internet connection.

That probably means that the computers are on a common subnet
and can communicate with each other using normal IP routing.

> What I did next was go to My Network Places > Set up a home or
> small office network, and follow the wizard through the steps
> that would allow me to share files and folders between the two
> computers. It's possible I'm using the wrong terminology when
> I say this is a "home network," because all it is is the two
> computers being able to access each other's hard drive.

"home network" is pretty much a meaningless term, so you can
use it however you want.  My guess is that all the "wizard" did
was set up file and print sharing between two computers that
were already on the same network and could already talk to each
other.  IOW, if both computers were able to access the internet
via a single cable modem before you ran the wizard, then it's
quite likely they could have communicated with each other as
well (using the two python programs or any other network aware
applications).

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I'm ZIPPY!! Are we
                                  at               having FUN yet??