Creating a TCP/IP connection on already-networked computers

John Salerno johnjsal at gmailNOSPAM.com
Sat Jun 14 22:59:04 EDT 2008

Grant Edwards wrote:

> "home network" is pretty much a meaningless term, so you can
> use it however you want.  My guess is that all the "wizard" did
> was set up file and print sharing between two computers that
> were already on the same network and could already talk to each
> other.

Yes, you're right. AFAIK, that was the only effect of what I did.

> IOW, if both computers were able to access the internet
> via a single cable modem before you ran the wizard, then it's
> quite likely they could have communicated with each other as
> well (using the two python programs or any other network aware
> applications).

So in the case of me trying this with a friend who lives far away, how
would these two scripts work if we wouldn't be on the same connection?